Southwestern College is a private, four-year liberal arts college. Established in 1885, it is affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
- High safety ranking
- Reputation for excellence
- Modern laboratories and facilities
- Laptop learning and a wireless campus
- Theatre, concerts, athletics
- Unique service learning programs
The campus consists mainly of limestone buildings. The stately Christy Administration Building is the pinnacle of the wooded site which overlooks the town of Winfield and the Walnut River valley.
The 85-acre campus includes The Mound, classroom buildings, recreational areas, student center, field house (gymnasium), laboratories, four residence halls, and four apartment facilities.
The college is located in the town of Winfield, a pleasant community of 12,000 inhabitants.
Norman Crampton, author of The 100 Best Small Towns in America, ranked Winfield 47th after spending three years researching communities with populations between 5,000 and 15,000.
The reasons behind Crampton's ranking include low crime rate, community involvement, and Southwestern College.
Winfield is conveniently located only 45 minutes from Wichita, Kansas's largest city.
Winfield has four distinct seasons. The academic year spans the final days of summer, through fall, winter, and spring. Although both summer and winter have brief periods of extreme temperatures, the climate generally is mild for the Midwest.
International students are provided guaranteed housing on campus.
Students who live on campus take part in social activities for U.S. and international students. There also are special advisors for international students.
Costs and Student Budgets
Enclosed with this application is a sheet describing the costs for the current school year. International students admitted to Southwestern must have the financial resources to cover the entire cost. To help with expenses Southwestern has several scholarships available for international students. For more information, please see the enclosed brochure about financial aid.
If you plan to bring a spouse and/or children with you to the United States, you must also provide evidence of financial support for them. Please list their names and ages on the application. These names will be added to your I-20 to facilitate the receipt of visas for your family members.
Applicants to Southwestern College should be at least 17 years old and should have completed high school.
- Free airport to campus transportation
- Housing arrangements
- Orientation program
- Immigration assistance
- University counseling and placement
Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport is served by American, Delta, Northwestern, TWA, United, and other airlines. We provide free transportation from the airport to the college (90 kilometers).
- Complete this online application and submit.
- Provide original certified copies of your academic transcripts which have been translated into English and which show that you have graduated from a secondary institution in your home country. Transfer students also must provide original certified copies of all college transcripts which have been translated into English. An international student who enrolls as a degree-seeking student at Southwestern College and who has taken courses at colleges outside the United States must pay to have these credits evaluated through a transcript evaluation service approved by Southwestern.
Applicants from countries where English is not the first language will need to have test results forwarded to Southwestern. Southwestern will accept the following tests/scores.
- English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a paper score of 550 or higher or an internet based score of 80 or higher.
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with a score of 6.5 or higher.
- The Chinese Governments English Exam with a score of a minimum of 4 for undergraduate admissions, a minimum of 6 for graduate admissions.
- Request letters of recommendation from three instructors who know you and who are acquainted with your character and academic qualifications. All letters must be translated into English, are confidential in nature, and must be sent in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions.
- There is a $25 non-refundable application fee. Please mail check or money order to the Office of Admissions.
Please mail your academic transcripts (Step 2), evidence of English
proficiency (Step 3), letters of recommendation (Step 4) and
your application fee (Step 6) to the address below:
Office of Admission
100 College Street
Winfield, KS 67156-2499
Southwestern College and the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service require that international students provide proof of financial support before immigration documents can be issued to those who meet the academic requirements for admission.
Please complete the enclosed certification of finances form indicating that you or your sponsor have sufficient funds to meet the first year's expenses.
Admission Decision Process
Admission decisions for international students are based on a combination of English proficiency, successful completion of courses leading to graduation, letters of recommendation, and proof of financial support.
- Applications for admission cannot be processed until all of the required credentials are received.
- Letters of acceptance to Southwestern College are mailed on a rolling basis. You can expect to hear from us within one week after we receive your completed application file.
- Accepted students will be invited to participate in Early Course Selection preceding their term of entry.
International students wishing to enroll full-time at Southwestern College in the fall semester must have a complete application file in the Office of Admission by July 1. To enroll full-time at Southwestern College in the spring semester, the student must have a complete application file in the Office of Admission by Dec. 1.
Exceptions to these deadlines are made on a case-by-case basis.